Invercargill is the southernmost city in New Zealand, and in the whole Asia-Pacific region, around the same latitude of the Kerguelen Islands.
It lies in the heart of the wide expanse of the Southland Plains on the Oreti river's estuary, amid rich farmland, and is the commercial center of New Zealand's Southland region.
Coordinates: 46° 24′S, 168° 20′ E
Population: ~53 000
Bank Corner is the intersection of Tay and Dee streets. In the middle of the roundabout is the Trooper's Memorial which honours those who died during the Boer War in South Africa.
When the commercial area moved some blocks away, the banks closed. They remain as remarkable architectural works and testimonies of an era of economic boom.
Built in 1878, the Bank of New Zealand is now the Bethel Centre, a Lutheran social organization.
Many streets in the city, especially in the centre and main shopping district, are named after rivers in Great Britain, mainly Scotland: Dee and Tay, Tyne, Esk, Don, Thames, Mersey, Ness, Yarrow, Spey, and Eye rivers.
The theater auditorium can accomodate over 1000 spectators.
In this short curving street by the Bank corner is located the glorious Victoria Railway Hotel, from 1896 , with an octogonal turret and ornate balustrades:
Esk Street is the main shopping street of Invercargill. The west end of Esk Street is anchored by the new Wachner Place.
Wachner Place is the new comercial and civic open area, with pedestrian streets; it has become a place to sit and people watch.
The Water Tower:
The Southlands boys high school:
St. Mary's basilica:
First Presbyterian church:
In polychrome brick, from 1915, after italian romanesque style.
Invercargill Civic Theater at night:
Aurora Australis (Southern Lights) are frequent over Invercargill, mainly around the equinoxes: